Purpose of the PRINCE2® Practitioner Certification
PRINCE2 Practitioner certification is suitable for anyone managing projects. This could be as part of a formal project management function or a role which involves project management as part of day-to-day work. The Practitioner certification aims to confirm that you have sufficient knowledge and understanding to apply and tailor the method in a range of different project environments and scenarios.
Attaining your Practitioner qualification is only one part of becoming a successful and effective project manager. It is important to ensure that yous upplement this with real-life experience working on projects, in addition to investing in personal professional development and wider training.
PRINCE2 Practitioner training
Typically, classroom training for PRINCE2 Practitioner lasts one and a half days and the examination takes place at the end of the training (this will vary depending on training provider). However, you can self-study for the Practitioner exam and you may also choose to take the training in another format such as distance learning. Training is delivered by AXELOS’ Accredited Training Organizations (ATOs) who set their own rates, so prices will vary.
This certification is aimed at project managers, aspiring project managers and anyone who manages projects. It is also relevant to other key staff involved in the design, development and delivery of projects, including: Project Board members (e.g. Senior Responsible Owners), Team Managers (e.g. Product Delivery Managers), Project Assurance (e.g. Business Change Analysts), Project Support (e.g. Project and Programme Office personnel) and operational line managers/staff.
To take the PRINCE2 Practitioner examination you must provide proof of having passed one of the following:
- PRINCE2 Foundation (or higher) – this only applies to certificates obtained after 1 January 2009
- Project Management Qualification (PMQ)*
- Certified Associate in Project Management (CAPM)*
- IPMA Level A® (Certified Projects Director)
- IPMA Level B® (Certified Senior Project Manager)
- IPMA Level C® (Certified Project Manager)
- IPMA Level D® (Certified Project Management Associate).
For more information on which certifications are now recognized as approved prior learning for the PRINCE2 Practitioner certification, please refer to our guide:
Booking an Exam where prerequisites apply
Please ensure that before you book an exam where a prerequisite is required, that you hold verified proof of completion of that prerequisite (i.e. certificate, or letter from AXELOS or former Examination Institute confirming you hold a current certification). Your examination results will be withheld until the correct prerequisite is provided to PeopleCert. If you are unable to provide the required prerequisite, then you will need to successfully complete the prerequisite before the higher-level exam result is released.
- Objective testing
- 68 questions per paper
- 38 marks or more required to pass (out of 68 available): approximately 55%
- Two-and-a-half hours’ (150 minutes) duration, no additional reading time
- Open book. Candidates are permitted to use the official printed hard copy of the Managing Successful Projects with PRINCE2® 2017 Edition.